Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sandburg inspiration

Two days ago, when I went on a book buy for our bookstore, I snagged a paperback of Carl Sandburg's Honey and Salt. What could be better with my first cup of coffee, light turning Pikes Peak rosy, and a new day ahead of me. The second poem in the book, Pass, Friend, ends with these two lines, "I who have loved morning know its doors./ I who have loved night know its keys." How I wish I had written those two lines. BUT, given the themes they represent, I may crib his concept of knowing the doors of morning and keys of night and write from there. Sandburg, I consider him to be one of the most under-valued poets in the canon of American literature. The first poem in the book is the title poem, Honey and Salt, about the vagaries of love. A delicious poem, one I can read aloud and hold and savor on the tongue. One of my favorite lines from that poem, "or two wishes riding on the back of a/ morning wind in winter." And the lines for the title, "There are sanctuaries/ holding honey and salt." Look at The Wilderness by Sandburg. A wildly splendid poem that even young students today could read, and discuss, covering everything from evolution to man's inhumanity to man. I've had a wonderful morning with Sandburg and you can find his poems just with a simple Google or Yahoo search, like, Carl Sandburg, The Wilderness poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment