Thursday, August 5, 2010

Face to Face Poetry

What a joy. This afternoon I was "poet in residence" at the COPPER office in the Plaza of the Rockies As men and women from the offices upstairs toured the art gallery and came into the Copper office, they were treated to cupcakes and live poetry from yours truly. I read poems from the Poetry While You Wait book, and poems from my book, Sunfire. My audience was right in front of me, four fee away at the table. I could feel their presence, see their eyes, watch their skin twitch, head tilt, body language move closer to me, or sit back. This "intimacy" made me change my performance, be more personal, and with one or two people in front of me, it was scary in a way, because I either reached them or didn't. A joy, to have someone sitting right in front of me, open to poems. And the light in their faces. Smiles when they gave me feedback. Cheers to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment