Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Sixth Sense

Good morning to all. This morning I shared with a young art student, a painter, thoughts about our senses, and how, while we have our five physical senses, sight sound taste touch and hearing, that are gateways to the outside world, that we also have a "sixth" sense. The "sixth" sense is meta-physical, internal, even philosophical. The sixth sense is what I reach for in a poem. The sixth sense is what I am writing about, in layers, in a poem. We have many "sixth" senses: A sense of joy, a sense of beauty, a sense of ugly, a sense of love, a sense of bravery, a sense of weakness, on and on. The sixth sense is what has made me sniff out the poem in the first place, what has made me write the poem. Like in my Haiku: Robin in the tree Reflected in the fountain. Black cat lunges. Splash! The sixth sense of "irony." How I can easily be fooled by my illusions, dive into them, and come up soaking wet. A sixth sense of foolishness. Etc etc. This morning, smelling the coffee percolating, a sense that as soon as I can sip a cup, all will be right with the world. So be it. Jim P.S. I have a few copies left of my latest book of poems, "SUNFIRE" and you can order a signed copy directly from me for $14 plus $2 postage. Send $16 to Jim Ciletti, 1215 N. Union Blvd. Colo Spgs CO 80909, or call Hooked on Books bookstore, 719-596-1621 and they can take your credit card info and mail the book to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment